This time last year, I posted a blog –
In that post, I chided myself for not having done very much in 2014. And I set myself an agenda for what I wanted to achieve in 2015 – this year. Here’s what I wrote last year:
This time next year I want to be able to answer that question – What did I do this year? – by saying:
- I wrote a new book
- I walked the Via de Francesca with some wonderful friends
- I finished my PGS film
- I finished the first stage of the online course with my university
- I finished my Indian honour killing film – DEFIANT
- I wrote a new screenplay
- I DID write a new book. Photo Camino. In fact I wrote TWO new books, with the recent publication of WHITE WITCH BLACK WITCH: Initiate.
- I DID walk the Via de Francesca with some wonderful friends, and we had an amazing time. Not only that, but Jennifer and I also hosted the Mother Ganga Tour – being a spiritual tour of India. And we did that with some amazing friends too.
- I DIDN’T finish my PGS film, but I nearly finished filming. Production took me to the US (twice) Italy, Turkey, Bhutan, and India.
- I DID finish the first stage of my online course with my University, the Queensland University of Technology. I’ve been working all year with my incredibly talented web designer, and only a few weeks ago we finished and delivered the first stage to QUT.
- I DIDN’T finish my Indian honour killing film. In fact I didn’t start it. But financing is edging closer.
- I DID write a new screenplay – and that’s now out to distributors.
So I got through some of my agenda but not all of it.
This time next year, I want to again answer the question: What did I do this year, by saying:
- I finished my PGS film.
- I wrote and published the 2nd part of WHITE WITCH BLACK WITCH.
- I wrote another book on the Camino.
- I started my Indian honour killing film.
- I mounted a 2nd Portuguese Camino Tour.
- I mounted a Wild Atlantic Way Tour on the west coast of Ireland.
- I mounted a 2nd Mother Ganga Tour.
- I began the 2nd stage of the online educational resource with QUT.
- I set up a new film, based on the new screenplay – which in fact is about the Camino.
If I achieve all that, I will be a happy little bunny.
People say – how do you manage to do so much in a day. It’s simple. I set an intention, I focus on that, and then I set myself small achievable goals that cumulatively will allow me to achieve the big goal. Then I go about achieving those small goals.
One thing that I learned on the Camino, and which I talk about in The Way, My Way, is that you can achieve huge things if you do it incrementally. Step by step. You can walk across Spain if you take one step then another then another, and another.
And you don’t give up. That’s the key to it. You persevere, until you get there, no matter the blisters, the aching knee, the rain, how long it takes and whatever obstacles you might face. You keep on going until you get there.
I’ve now stopped thinking about outcomes – about the results of my endeavours. I now only think about the endeavours themselves, and achieving them with the utmost integrity.
I’ve learned to give over the outcomes to the Universe.
Ultimately, it doesn’t matter if what you do is successful or not. The only thing that matters is that you do it. And do it the best you can…