As followers of this blog know, at this time each year I do an audit of what I achieved this past year, pegged against what I said I wanted to achieve – and I set out what I hope to achieve the coming year.
How did I go? I did some, didn’t do some. Here’s what I wanted to achieve in 2018, and what I did achieve –
- PGS the movie will release globally and be a success.
Yes it was released and yes it was / and is a success.
- Jennifer and I will travel and help market and promote the film.
Yes, we traveled extensively, met some remarkable people, had many sell-out screenings.
- PGS the book will be published.
Yes, I wrote and published PGS the book – an expansion on the film. It’s available here on Amazon – PGS the Book
- JOURNAL OF A JOURNEY – the book on the making of the film – will be published.
NUP – didn’t get around to this one. The book is largely written – 120K words or so – it’s a big book – but it needs editing and this year I had other priorities.
- The first two PALACE OF FIRES books – INITIATE & UNHOLY – will be published by Penguin Random House to great commercial success!
Yes – INITIATE was published in February, UNHOLY in September. INITIATE has gone into several reprints, and UNHOLY looks like it will go the same way.
- I will complete and deliver the third in the PALACE OF FIRES series – BEAST – to Penguin Random House.
Yes, I completed this on time – 104K words delivered by the end of October. It was a huge task to tie up all the narrative threads from the first two books, but BEAST promises to deliver a fitting (and suitably scary) ending to the trilogy.
- BUEN CAMINO, the feature film, will be cast and set for filming in 2019
This didn’t happen, however the distributor in Australia, the sales company out of the US, and our co-producers in Spain now want me to make a film based on my Camino memoir, THE WAY, MY WAY, so I’ll be writing that this next year, and getting that off the ground.
- I will walk 3000kms from my front door to the end of the world.
This didn’t happen either. I simply had no time, and quite frankly by the end of October when I was due to set off I was so knackered by the writing of BEAST, plus all the travel and stress of the earlier months, that I wasn’t able to do it.
What do I have planned for this coming year – 2019?
- Continue the marketing and promotion of PGS the movie.
- Shift into the educational side of PGS, through workshops, and online training.
- Write the screenplay of THE WAY, MY WAY – and begin casting and financing.
- Complete the manuscript of the third in the Palace of Fires trilogy – BEAST.
- Penguin Random House will publish BEAST.
- I will write my next book, a thriller called Again, I Die.
- I will commence production on my theatrical feature documentary on fear.
I’m not going to put my “Front Door” walk of 3,000kms on the list – if I have time, I’ll just do it. One day without any fuss I’ll simply walk out my front door. I would like to find the time, but I need about 4 months.
I have interest from the Adult Commercial Fiction division of Penguin Random House for Again, I Die. They loved my treatment and now they want me to submit what’s called a “partial” – some chapters for them to consider. The pitch for Again, I Die is a cracker.
Once again there’s a lot on my plate for this coming year, but I’m actually going to focus on doing one thing at a time, doing it as best I can, and finding time in amongst it all to relax, and think about things.
My health this year is going to be a priority.